By Jay DiMartino, About.com Guide
This is it. These original articles will take you through the learning process with straight text and simple concepts that will take you from choosing your first board and standing up for the first time to surfing in a contest and beyond.
- Introduction to Surfing
- Basic Rules of Surfing
- How to Teach a Child to Surf
- How to Choose your First Surfboard
- How to Choose a Beach for Learning to Surf
- How to Paddle a Surfboard
- How to Duckdive a Surfboard
- How to Catch a Wave
- How to Stand Up on a Surfboard
Other Helpful Resources
To truly improve your surfing experience, take a look at what is happening in the world of surfing competition as well as perusing the many surf camps around the world that offer lessons for beginning wave riders. Maybe there is one near you.
For Intermediate Surfers
It's time move to the next level. Learn to ride and turn as you progress from beginner to mid-level waveriding with these simple and fun articles.
- Follow your Head for Better Board Control
- How to Angle Along the Wave
- How to Hit the Lip
- How to Do a Roundhouse Cutback
For Advanced Surfers
Alright...You have moved past all the easy stuff. You've learned how to paddle, stand, turn, cutback and even float a section. What's next? You'll be amazed at what this next section holds for you. Click and feel your pulse quicken.